JORDAN LAKE, or as it was originally planned to be called, New Hope Lake, was first authorized for construction in 1940's for flood control. The project remain idle for 2 decades until Senator B. Everett Jordan propossed the lake to Congress in 1963. The plans were met with mixed emotions by land owners and enviormentalist. By 1970, the plans for the lake were again resurrected. In 974, the dam was built at the intersections of the Haw and New Hope rivers. By 1977, the project finally seemed a reality, until the Conservation Council of NC halted construction with a court order for 4 years.
But in the fall of 1981, the floodgates were closed and the water began to rise. On Feb. 3rd, 1982, the 14,300 acre impoundment reached full pool at 216 msl, with a maximun depth of 66 feet. Govenor Hunt officially dedicated the name "B. Everett Jordan" Lake on May 1, 1981.
Since then, Jordan Lake has become one of North Carolina's premiere fisheries. With 7 species of game fish; largemouth bass, crappie, striper, hybrids, bream, catfish, white perch, Jordan Lake offers fishing opportunities for the novice to seasoned angler.
With a current 10 year management plan between NC Wildlife Resources Commission and NC State University cooperately monitoring the lake, a 16" size limit on bass, Jordan Lake rivals such trophy fisheries as Lake Fork, Sam Rayburn and Santee Cooper.